Now Hiring Plant Quality Assurance Leader
Job Title: Plant Quality Leader
Reports To: President & CEO
Supervises: All Quality and Sanitation Associates
FLSA: Full Time, Salaried Exempt
The Plant Quality Manager (QM) reports to the President & CEO and plans, coordinates, and directs the quality program to ensure products are manufactured according to established guidelines, standards and regulatory requirements. The QM compiles and evaluates statistical data to determine and improve the quality and reliability of products manufactured by PACA Foods, LLC. Additionally, the QM establishes and maintains compliance to GFSI-SQF and assures all products meet safety, regulatory and quality requirements in both US and destination countries. This leader will determine and implement necessary process improvements by training and coaching Operations supervisors and hourly personnel.
- Develops and maintains quality objectives to support company policies and goals.
- Develops and implements standards and methods for product inspections, testing, and evaluation.
- Develops product sampling plan and results trending to assure product quality.
- Reviews documentation for compliance with stated requirements including customer quality manuals, company policies and procedures, quality audit criteria, all Raw Material documents (including but not limited to MSDS, Spec Sheet, Allergen Statement, etc) and regulatory requirements.
- Develops and updates Work Instructions pertaining to Quality Systems functions including laboratory, sanitation, sampling / testing procedures, etc.
- Manages and updates PACA’s Vendor Approval and Certification Program (assisted by Supply Chain Manager) to insure that all PACA vendors continue to conform to the Program.
- Provides training to plant employees to assure compliance with Quality Systems requirements including HACCP, GMP’s, safe chemical handling, net weight control, cleaning procedures, etc.
- Actively involved in the disposition of nonconforming finished product and raw materials, this includes returns, damaged and out dated product or material.
- Reviews and signs off on the pre-shipment records and other daily QS / Production records and distributes documentation both internally and to customers, as needed.
- Point person for all 3rd party Quality System audits including planning / preparation, conducting the audit, documentation and improvement plans / activities.
- Develops / maintains an internal manufacturing process audit to ensure company personnel are following work instructions, GMP’S & FDA regulations (as well as special production instructions).
- Furnishes QC related customer information requests including investigation and satisfactory disposition of customer complaints.
- As the Quality Systems liaison for new products, coordinates test runs with sales, marketing, production and R&D. Develops finished product specifications for analytical testing based on samples provided by R&D.
- Establishes on-line process control points so production employees can assure quality is being “built in” to our products vs. inspecting for quality at the end.
- Manages all departmental costs to assure expenses are within budget and in a timely manner.
- Leads weekly/regular training sessions to all plant associates
- Maintains test equipment by establishing preventive maintenance program, monitors sample program & calibration / verification program.
- Provides training and education to Quality employees to ensure procedures and testing methods are performed correctly.
- Establishes and manages finished product testing including cook-up, tasting, etc. as needed.
- Works with R&D to establish product specifications that the production process is capable of reliably meeting.
- Performs analytical testing and manages all outsourced testing, as necessary.
Sanitation / Housekeeping
- Manages the sanitation/housekeeping team including maintaining the MSDS records, ensuring adherence to proper sanitation procedures, and managing the cost.
- Recommends and assists in the selection of the PACA chemical supplier for chemicals and equipment to facilitate proper cleaning of the facility in a cost effective approach.
- Recommends and assists in the selection of the PACA Pest Control service provider and manages Pest Control so both pest activity and the use of chemicals are minimized.
- Reviews Pest Control records weekly to ensure pests are being eliminated and all regulatory requirements for treatment and record keeping are met.
- Establishes and leads the Food Safety Committee.
- Periodically serves on the Safety Committee.
- Assures compliance to ALL applicable regulatory agencies including but not limited to the FDA, Bureau of Weights and Measures and State & Local regulations.
- Maintains current HACCP plan for all PACA products.
- Assures all package labeling meets applicable laws and regulations.
- Applies statistical process control (SPC) methods for analyzing data of quality issues.
- Charts pre-operational and operational sanitation findings.
- Reviews and signs-off on the pre-operational inspection sheets.
- Reviews pre-shipment review and CCP verification activities.
- Uses process flow diagrams to perform line audits to ensure diagrams are updated and correct.
- Coordinates pre-operational, operational, pest control and locker audits.
- Ensures and records necessary corrective action and preventive measures on audit or customer complaint findings.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of government and industry quality codes and standards.
- Provides Certificates of Analysis to customers as requested by Customer Service.
- Provides vendor compliance reports to vendors, Purchasing, etc. as necessary.
- Develops new approaches to solve problems identified during quality activities.
- Prepares and presents technical information to management team.
- Develops computerized program for quality records, testing results, product and materials.
- Uses historical data to identify opportunities for improvement and then leads cross-functional teams to address.
- Directly supervises all plant quality and sanitation associates.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science (or related field) from a four-year college or university-Master’s Degree a plus
- Highly ambitious and motivated self starter, able to work in a high growth company with strong passionate people
- 7-10+ years of related experience; including appropriate regulatory and sanitation experience.
- Demonstrated experience with GFSI (SQF 2000) Food Safety schemes, but BRC considered.
- Proven track record as a leader of people.
PACA FOODS, LLC
PACA (based in Tampa, FL) is Florida’s largest and most tenured custom blender and packager of dry food products with a 25 year history of customer satisfaction. We provide a wide range of taste and texture components for food industry customers throughout the world. Our products include seasoning blends, dry mixes, coating systems, crumbs, flavors, sauces and food bases that are used in an extensive variety of applications from snack foods and processed meat and poultry to ready meals. Our customers include food processors, restaurant operators and grocery retailers.